When you have to work for a new project for the installation of an automatic gate there are many things you must do: choosing the type of gate, the technical checks, the choice of the motor, the laws to be respected and so on.
Here’s a list to help you avoiding to forget something.
Gate automations are tempting to many who need to park or enter the property in a safer and more comfortable way. However, the projects are always different and have unique characteristics. This aspect makes the task more difficult and not all the same operations can be applied every time for the automation installation, choosing the right gate or the laws to be known.
There are so many things to do before that in order to start the project and make sure that it matches your customers expectations and the feasibility. This article is for you, an installation technician: the programming and installation of gate automations must be handled by a professional – who therefore knows the European Directives and Regulations regarding the safety of use of motorized gates – if we want a successful job that sticks to safety standards.
In this article we want to help you in your daily work by listing a series of important points that you must not forget when dealing with an automatic gate installation
What does the customer expect?
Indice dei Contenuti
- 1 What does the customer expect?
- 2 Questions to ask immediately!
- 3 Audit of the requirements for the installation of gate automation
- 4 Choice of the type of automatic gate and installation
- 5 Automatic gate installation and basic steps
- 6 Automation for gates: the documentation to be left to the customer
- 7 Choose reliability and simplicity on each project with VDS Automation kits
Questions to ask immediately!
The comparison with the customer is essential when you have to install an automatic gate because it’s a type of product that has not only a functional role, but also an aesthetic one. This is why you need to understand what your customer expects because it will be what you will have to refer to when you have to make a choice.
The questions to ask immediately to create a technically flawless project but above all consistent with what the customer wants are:
• What is the customer’s request and his wishes (eg swing or sliding)
• What is the available budget
• What is the type of use and how often the gate will be used
• If it is a replacement, ask what – if any – were the advantages and disadvantages of the old gate automation or problems that you would like to avoid
• If it is a new installation, and even if this may seem trivial, ask what is the reason why they want an automatic gate: if you can investigate beyond the banal answer on the “convenience” that is expected (ie the fact of not having to get out of the car to open and then close the gate), you can find out if a fast mechanism, a beautiful and sumptuous gate or a more basic and no-frills automation is more important to the customer.
What to be carefully evaluated: the type of use (whether intensive as in the case of a condominium or not in the case of a single-family villa), the level of safety required (for example if there are children or animals that may require components that guarantee additional caution), spending limits, and the desired aesthetic devices.
Audit of the requirements for the installation of gate automation
Once in possession of what we could professionally define a project brief with the customer, it is important to measure oneself with the characteristics of the place where the automatic gate will be installed or replaced. It is important to carry out a dimensional check of the structure, spaces, dimensions and areas to be protected because this could significantly affect the type of gate to be preferred.
Beside the possibility of carrying out the project as desired by the customer, when supervising the area remember to note:
• Slope of the land and any differences to be considered (for example a very sloping entrance)
• The climatic conditions that can be expected in the place where the automation for gates will be installed, or if the entrance is sheltered from the elements or if it is totally exposed especially to precipitation
• If there is a need to ensure a particular speed of opening / closing the gate, for example due to its position close to a busy road
Before talking to the customer and communicating what could be the best choice and the alternatives that you can propose, be sure to make an inspection because there could be some characteristics of the place that limit the possible choices.
If these possibilities impose different solutions with respect to the customer’s wishes, make sure to give a clear explanation of the technical and practical reasons that led you to exclude these or those preferences because it is important that everything is clear and that it is officially approved.
Choice of the type of automatic gate and installation
At this point and with all the information received in hand, it is possible to choose the best type of automation for the project: the model, the 230V or 24V version, as well as accessories and safety tools. Get everything approved by the customer (even for budget reasons) and check several times that you have not forgotten anything.
In this regard, remember that purchasing an automation kit can be convenient and decisive: within the supply you will find everything you need to safely install the gate automation and not just the gearmotor.
In the VDS Automazion automation kits you will find:
• Striking plate
• 230V control unit
• Pair of photocells
• LED flasher
• Warning sign
In this way you can be sure you don’t forget anything essential. To find all our kits, you can enter the product sheets and then click on “available kits”.
An example? Look at all the kits available with Simply, the best-selling and installed model of gearmotor for sliding gates.
Finally, you can proceed to the actual installation phase, starting with the mechanical part which should include the following steps:
• evaluation of the type of fixing based on the type of structure of the automatic gate
• check of the complete and correct movement of the gate
• mechanical fixing of the gearmotors
• limit switch adjustment
• verification of the correct handling and the efficiency of the manual release
• verification of safety requirements according to current regulations (especially compliance with UNI EN 12453-2017 standards)
Automatic gate installation and basic steps
We know that you are a professional in the sector and you certainly don’t need explanations on how to do things. Take the following list as a check-list to verify if everything is ok.
At the end of the mechanical verification that we described in the previous paragraph you can proceed with:
• the programming of the strokes, making sure that the first maneuver is always closing and that at the end of the operation the first operation check is carried out. We recommend programming before connecting the accessories (photocells, selectors, buttons, safety devices).
• The connection of safety accessories. In this phase, all the signaling accessories and the locking of the leaves in the case of swing gates must also be connected.
• Once the electrical connections have been completed, proceed with checking the correct operation of all the accessories
• Perform a power failure simulation in all situations (gate open, closed, moving). This series of tests is essential to ensure the correct and complete operation of the gate automation even in the event of an emergency
• Memorization of remote controls
• The regulation of automatic reclosing times
• Adjustment of strength and sensitivity
• Delivery to the customer of the copy of the required documentation and certifications.
Automation for gates: the documentation to be left to the customer
When a gate equipped with an automation system is installed, the supplier is required by law to issue a technical file that certifies the adequacy of the system to the safety standards in force. This dossier consists of a series of documents:
• EC declaration of conformity of the system
• drawing and wiring diagram of the automatic gate
• Technical installation and maintenance manuals
• Instructions for use of the system
• Declarations of conformity of the individual components
• Maintenance register containing all the references of the interventions carried out, including installation, ordinary and extraordinary maintenance and any repairs and / or modifications made.
For automatic gates there is also the obligation of annual verification for correct operation in accordance with the machinery directive.
Choose reliability and simplicity on each project with VDS Automation kits
DS is an Italian company that has been producing automation for gates, barriers, automatic doors, overhead doors, sectional doors, garage doors, shutters and roller shutters for over thirty years. A brand that embodies reliability, ease of installation and competitive prices.
VDS, thanks to a quick and fast assistance system for installers, provides you with a help-desk not only by telephone but also digitally that you can reach from wherever you are.
VDS Automation gate automations and kits are produced entirely in Italy by highly specialized staff with the highest quality raw materials. The design and construction of molds, the production of mechanical parts, such as gears and drive shafts, with sophisticated numerical control machinery, the development of the control panels and the assembly of our kits and the strict final tests take place within the factories VDS.
Our attention to installers is always maximum: we organize courses for distributors, sellers and installers because the success of our products also depends on them. In addition, we guarantee our products and accessory components for 2 years from the date of sale, during which assistance is always considered free.